Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Zay's Lesson

Today, I watched my 4-yr old son get knocked out by the Wii Computer. Immediately, he threw the remote on the floor and started bawling! I knelt down beside him and asked him why he was so upset. Woefully he said "Mommy I hate to lose."  I told him sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. When we lose, we keep trying, until we win. He said, "Mommy I just wanna be good and win."  I told him just because you win doesn't mean your good.  "Practicing" makes you good. That's why you go to your basketball practice during the week before your game, so that you can be "really good".

Later down the road, he'll understand the many lessons in that statement, but for now he understood the gist and kept trying. I love teaching my children lessons about life.

Isn't it funny how losing or failing at something can teach you a powerful lesson and give you the opportunity to be thankful for the overall experience that made you hurt, cry or scream?   Then when you really think about it, sometimes losing a "title" is far better if you won the "lesson".

And in the end... It's really up to you whether you win or lose.    (c) 2011 Jessica Hicks


Photo by: Corbis

No comments:

Post a Comment