Monday, February 7, 2011

"One Day My Happiness Just Disappeared..."


Nervously, I shuffled thru papers, sermons and songs asking myself, “Where are you?” You were just here last week shining brightly thru my heart. Then all of a sudden POOF, you vanished!  No where to be found. Not even Yolanda Adams or my fast running feet could find the happy in me. I never realized my happiness could disappear right from my very own heart, but truth be told, it did. So, here I was on this new quest to find where my happiness went.

You see, life was all good once I pushed beyond my flesh and spent 10 consecutive weeks exercising my mind, body and spirit during 6 AM runs. My Holy Helper taught me great lessons during those times. He helped me see beyond my own understanding and gave me the power to conquer my long days.  At first I hesitated to try the early morning runs because it was a bit cool for my lukewarm routine, but the moment I yielded to God, I found it was smooth sailing. He and I skirted easily through the rough current together.  Since I let Him, the more experienced driver, drive, long days became productive days and productive days became “happy days,” and I was experiencing a new balanced lifestyle. Until one day, my happiness just disappeared.  

I once heard in a lecture, “Professionals Practice.” Kobe Bryant hits the gym every morning by 5 AM to practice. Magic Johnson used to dribble to and from the grocery store to practice. Michael Phelps became The World’s Greatest Olympic swimmer because he practiced; Jackie Joyner-Kersee became an All-time great athlete in the Women’s Heptathlon because she practiced. Prayer Warriors practice praying, writers practice writing and Happy Moms practice being happy.  

Life will always bring rough waves to knock you down, but it's your choice to use the power God gave you to withstand all things. Don't look to any person, place or thing to find your answer. Don't focus on the rough current, hardship, pain or problem. Rather, seek God's presence and meditate on His written word for “the joy of the Lord is your strength”. My happiness faded when I stopped balancing my life with my helper. I had forgotten that He and I were a team and it is He who brings wisdom to my knowledge. So here we are again skirting through the rough current together…   


(c) 2010 Jessica Hicks

2 comments:

  1. This is a good reminder. God knew I needed to read this today. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete